UJN Press is student-driven in operation and integrated into the English as a Foreign Language (EFL) program’s blended learning initiative at the University of Jinan (UJN), Shandong, China under the auspices of foreign expert Mr. Robert Cettl. Maintenance, content design and provision are integrated into a task-based three semester Advanced Writing course to provide students with an authentic online English language component in a blended learning real-world environment.
CAILL Transmedia Pty. Ltd. provides authentic English learning resources and services, online consultants and online lessons to realize the full potential of language learning. So too it is a digital publishing bridge between China and the West which publishes original manuscripts (inc. multimedia) and e-documents on a multitude of subjects (inc. non-fiction, fiction, art, memoir( by authors, teachers and students in English and Chinese (Mandarin).
The goal of CAILL Transmedia Pty. Ltd. is to facilitate ICC (Inter-Cultural Communicative Competence) Chinese EFL student creativity and problem-solving skills by:
- 1) identifying current student / teacher needs;
2) analyzing the pedagogic dimensions of these identified needs;
3) designing and developing innovate resources – PDF digital textbooks, research article provision, original YouKu educational programming – so as to facilitate student autonomy through blended learning supplements to traditional classroom-based instruction;
4) consulting with individual students, teachers, researchers and department faculty to provide context-specific transmedia teaching materials to support, enhance and augment existing class syllabus requirements.
- 1) provide English learning resources toward UJN’s student and teacher cohort;
2) publishing books and e-books
3) expand the target audience;
4) provide online consultants, tutors and lessons;
5) cooperate with schools and educational institutions;
6) cooperate with bookstores and publishing companies;
7) communicate with, and provide content for, the Bureau / Ministry of Education;
8) internationalization and IPO launch.
The initial website – www.ujnpress.com – uses WordPress e-Commerce web design software for easy navigation and use by teachers and students. It is maintained in partnership with Australian company Winkless Web Design. It hosts digital resources for download and is linked to social media in China and abroad. Many resources are free to obtain, with selected materials offered on a retail basis to the general public. Website use requires user registration and operates on an AliPay integrated shopping cart model.
Core products and services concern (but are ultimately not limited to) EFL learning and teaching: ebooks written by professors, teachers and experts in their field to cater to context-specific language learning needs:
- – digital textbooks;
– brochures, booklets, portfolios, etc;
– PDF-based class supplements;
– audio-video supplements;
– consultation for materials development;
– online tuition and feedback.
While products at present are context-related to University of Jinan (UJN) EFL student needs (and assignments), UJN Press is now open to submissions on any subject that increase communication and East-West cultural understanding. Hence, submissions to UJN Press from students, researchers, teachers, authors, artists and multimedia content providers are welcome and encouraged.
Submissions can be on any subject, provided they have potential EFL (English as a Foreign Language) application as authentic language cultural documents. Submissions can hence be in English, Chinese (Mandarin) or both: editorial services are available to prospective authors.
UJN Press offers negotiable digital royalty contracts to authors wishing such, and also provides a networked trans-media platform for free multimedia content dissemination in China, including (but not limited to): original eBooks, reprints, educational material, articles, essays, ethnographic teacher and student memoirs, original art, original video and audio programming. Print on demand and digital options are available for international distribution.
UJN Press and CAILL Transmedia books and eBooks are available on (but not limited to): amazon.cn, Douban, amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, Powell’s Books, Kobo, GoogleBooks, XinXii, Lulu and mobile phone platforms. Submissions accepted for publication receive promotion throughout China on QQ, Sina Weibo, Youku and Tudou and internationally via FB, Twitter, Google+, YouTube, LinkedIn and more.